Impulse Response Download
- Free Guitar Cabinet Impulse Responses
- Buy me a coffee
- IR capture and technical information
- Getting started with IRs ?
- Some advices
- File naming convention
- Comments, suggestions, IR usage example
- Legal disclaimer
- Download links – Free Collections
- Change log
- Page stats
Updated August 14, 2023
Free Guitar Cabinet Impulse Responses
They can allow you to get started with IRs and to experiment and/or enrich your IR collection and your sound palette. They might also allow you to discover new guitar cabs, speakers and microphones.
Buy me a coffee
You can support my website and the IR publication work by making donations through Buy me a Coffee :
Buy me a coffee is simple and easy : you can do a one-time donation very simply …. so, if you want to provide me some support for the free collections and help me providing new collections with new cabs/speakers/microphones to the guitar players community, that’s the way to do it !
Basic IRs collections will remain free for all users of the website : they contain a basic set of microphones. Additional content will be made available through a Buy Me a Coffee fee : these will consist in additional microphones and IRs mixes. This additional content will be accessible by using the download code provided when buying a Buy me a Coffee “extra”.
Check the next section for technical information on IRs : they are compatible with many IR loading software and hardware devices including Nadir, Two-Notes hardware, Two-Notes Wall of Sound, Libra, Helix devices, the Kemper Profiling Amp, Mooer GE multi-effects, Mooer Preamp X2, Mooer Radar, Engl Cab Loader, Hotone multi-effects, TC Electronic Impulse,… Before buying a Buy me a Coffee overdriven.fr extra, download and test the free collections to make sure your device or software work with them.
IR capture and technical information
These IRs are created with Apple Impulse Response utility, in 24 bits / 88,2 kHz and are made available as 44,1 kHz, 24 bits WAV files. Their length is usually 50 ms, though some files may be shorter. You will probably need to adjust their phase if you want to mix them with IRs from other vendor/provider.
Three amps are used for overdriven.fr IRs capture : one using KT88 valves, another one using 6L6 valves and a third CLASS-D one : this is generally mentioned in the collection name of the IR files and in the readme file of the collection.
These IRs are systematically tested under Two-Notes WOS running in Logic Pro X, and they are sometimes tested under Nadir (still under Logic Pro X), Libra, the Two-Note CAB M. pedal and the Mooer Radar pedal. They will also work well on Hotone Ampero and Mooer GE multi-effects for example. They can also be used on the Kemper Profiling Amp.
In case of issue -unability to load them- please leave a comment on this page with the complete file name of the IR and the software or hardware you are having issue with.
All mics positions are not available and all positions that I record are not made available in the free collections. Distances and positions may be different from one cabinet, microphone or speaker to the other. Sometimes processed versions of the IR can be provided. In this case, read the readme file and the IR information page to get information about the EQ or filters applied.
Getting started with IRs ?
To get started with IRs and learn more about using them, I suggest reading the following blog posts :
- Impulse responses part 11 : IRs with power-amp baked-in
- Impulse responses part 10 : a word about microphones
- Impulse responses part 9 : mixing IRs
- Impulse responses part 8 : using EQ
- Software Impulse Response loaders (IR part 7)
- Impulse responses : part 6 (usage advices)
- Impulse responses : part 5 (power amps)
- Impulse responses : part 4 (using pedals)
- Impulse responses : part 3 (IR basics)
- Impulse responses : part 2 (signal chain and IR loaders)
- Impulse responses : part 1 (introduction to IR)
The CLASS-D IRs are captured with neutral settings, for minimum coloration and “flat” tone.
For the 6L6 and KT88 IRs, please consider the following recommandations:
- The KT88/6L6 IRs are for the most part already medium scooped : I suggest you do not overly scoop your amp or preamp EQ. You can get started with a high level of medium (11H or 12H) and high level of bass (11H or 12H)
- You may need to slightly boost the 100H to 500/700 HZ frequency range in order to get more presence and bass.
- These IRs may need an output volume boost in order to sound as loud as OwnHammer or Two-Notes average IRs (from +0,5 DB to +2 DB for example). Please remind that EQ settings might impact the overall volume of the IR as well.
And more generally :
- Pay attention to P00, P05, P09 positions , especially at high volume, as they can be harsh (with a high level of treble).
- I suggest to use low-cut filter (50HZ-120HZ) and high-cut filter (7500 HZ or less) to achieve better results.
For Two-Notes systems :
- On WOS / CABM/CABM+ / CaptorX, select 40 ms and original.
File naming convention
IR are provided as collections : a collection represent a recording session, with a given amp, CAB, speaker and mics.
The file names of the IR look like the following :
The recording position uses a number with the following convention:
File names are made of the following parts :
OD-FB-G12K100-E906-P10-25.wav : OD_<CAB>_<HP>_<MICRO>_<POSITION>_<DISTANCE>
- OD is the prefix for our IRs (OverDriven.fr)
- FB : codified CAB name, in this case a Zilla® Fatboy
- G12K100 is the speaker name : a Celestion® G12K100
- E906 : a Sennheiser® E906 mic
- P10 : mic position 10 (Cap Edge)
- 25 : mic at a distance of 25 mm (distances are approximate), i.e. 1 inch.
- File names may sometimes contain other information such as “HPF” or “v2”.
- -M0 to -M7 indicates some EQ was applied to reduce the medium scoop
- -BRIGHT is a preamp effect applied to boost mids and high frequencies. It provides a lot of clarity for attack and definition
- -SAT and -SAT2 are additional distortion settings from the preamp that brings also clarity to the IR
- PxxA indicates an angled position (for example P10A would be P10 with a 45° shift)
Collections will contain the microphone preamp name : TubePreamp1, TubePreamp2 or SSP1 (Solid State Preamp 1).
Overdriven.fr IR collections will now use the following microphone labels in the file names :
|Overdriven.fr microphone||Inspired by|
|DYN-R20||Heil Sound® PR20|
|CND-2020||Audio Technica® AT2020|
|DYN-US-8||Electro Voice® RE-20|
|CND-JP-1||Audio Technica® AE3000|
Other microphones not listed in this table are also used in the downloadable IR files.
Comments, suggestions, IR usage example
Do not hesitate to post comments, suggestions or to provide audio or video recordings of your usage of theses IRs. For other mic/speaker positions, you can try suggesting these positions through the comments as well.
Any and all third party companies and products listed or otherwise mentioned on this site may be trademarks of their respective owners and they are in no way affiliated or associated with Overdriven.fr or the owner of Overdriven.fr. Product names are referenced solely for the purpose of identifying the hardware used in the recording chain for impulse response capture or for guitar sound demonstrations. Use of these names does not imply any cooperation or endorsement.
Free OverDriven.fr guitar cabinets impulse responses (IR) downloads are available using the links below.
If you want to be notified when new collections or articles are available, simply follow my twitter account :Follow @davidoverdrive1
4th generation IRs
|E-112 / P50||21-AUG-2023||Initial publication|
|UK-212 / GOV||14-MAY-2023||Initial publication|
3rd generation IRs
Check this post for Gen3 information : Gen3 launch
|DE-112 / 12-65||13-NOV-2022||Initial publication|
|DE-112 / GOV||02-OCT-2022||Initial publication|
|UK-112 / V30||25-AUG-2022||Initial publication|
|DE-112 / 12-T75||09-JUL-2022||Initial publication|
|DE-112 / V30||01-MAY-2022||Initial publication|
|R112 / V30||08-APR-2022||Initial publication|
|US-412 / V30||23-JAN-2022|
Update to 1.1
|UK-212 / Demon ||4-JAN-2022||Initial publication|
|UK-212 / Demon (KT88)||13-DEC-2021||Initial publication|
|UK-212 / Green||14-AUG-2021||Initial publication|
|UK-212 / Green (KT88)||18-JUL-2021||Initial publication|
All brands and product names belong to their respective owners.
2nd generation IRs
|DE-112 / 12-65 (KT88)||06-MAR-2022||Initial publication|
|R212 / V30 UK (KT88)||02-MAY-2021|
|UK-212 / K100 (KT88)||07-MAR-2021|
|UK-212 / V30 (KT88)||07-MAR-2021||Initial publication|
|UK-112 / 12-T75||07-FEB-2021||Initial publication|
|UK-112 / Gov||24-JAN-2021||Initial publication|
|UK-112 / Tornado St 65||02-JAN-2021|
|UK-112 / Demon||02-JAN-2021||Initial publication|
|R112 / V30 (Tube Pre)||13-DEC-2020||Initial publication|
|DE-112 / Demon (Tube Pre)||11-NOV-2020||Initial publication|
|UK-112 / V30 (Tube Pre)||14-OCT-2020||Initial publication|
|OD-212 / 12-T75 (Tube Pre)||14-SEP-2020||Initial publication|
|OD-112 / C. Lead (Tube Pre)||30-AUG-2020||Initial publication|
|OD-112 / H30 (Tube Pre)||30-JUL-2020|
All brands and product names belong to their respective owners.
Access to deprecated collections
Check this link : https://overdriven.fr/overdriven/index.php/deprecated-ir-collections/
- March 6, 2022 : initial publication of German 112 – Celestion® G12-65
- April 8, 2022 : initial publication of Calif R112 – Celestion® V30 UK
- May 1, 2022: initial publication of German E112 – Celestion® V30, added twitter link
- July 9, 2022 : initial publication of German E112 -Celestion® G12-T75
- August 25, 2022 : initial publication of UK-112, V30, class-D
- October 02, 2022 : initial publication of German-112, Governor, class-D
- November 13, 2022 : initial publication of German-112 G12-65, class-D
- January 2, 2023 : deprecating Patreon, introducing Buy me a Coffee for donations and extras, updated advices
- May 14, 2023 : added 1st gen 4 IR collection
- May 30, 2023 : updated collection names, removed Gen1 IRs, removed Patreon collections
- July 25, 2023 : added access to deprecated collection page
- August 14, 2023 : small edits